There is power in the word. I know reading the Bible can be daunting and a bit scary. But it doesn’t have to be. These simple color code and highlight your bible techniques. Will help you create a bible study and note-taking technique that works for you.
Today I’m sharing my note-taking and highlighting method for reading the bible. The further along I get in my Bible study the more I’ve recognized the need for a bible color-coding system. It makes all the difference when your re-reading or reviewing text you’ve previously read.
If you enjoy this post, take a minute to bookmark one of these Bible Study blog posts for later. I promise you will find helpful tips for reading the bible as a beginner.
- How to Bible Journal for Beginners
- Bible Study Tips for Beginners from a Beginner
- How to Dig Deeper during Bible Study
A bible color-coding system makes it quick and easy to find passages on particular topics. As you know the bible isn’t categorized like a textbook. Implementing a system is helpful when you are in need of inspiration, encouragement, or just a word from the Bible.
Like Proverbs for example has a lot of wisdom but this system makes it easy for me to find scriptures on parenting in Proverbs. Although bible verses on parenting may not be important to you. Deciding which categories are important to you will help make bible note-taking easier.
How to Color Code Your Bible
For almost two years I’ve used my faith journal for my bible note-taking. Along with bible mapping and bible journaling. But now I feel as though it is time for me to expand my bible note taking to include a bible color-coding system. Easily finding bible verses on prayer, Holy Spirit, marriage is important to my spiritual journey.
Creating a table of content on an index card is a great way to keep up with your bible color-coding system. You may find it helpful to also use tabs, washi tape, or sticky notes to mark pages where you’ve highlighted important text.
I use a highlighter set from Amazon Basic to color code my bible. I do like their highlighters but they were not created for highlighting your bible. If you are new to color coding your bible I would definitely recommend purchasing bible highlighters.
They are supposed to not bleed through the thin Bible pages. Daily Grace Co has a really cute bible highlighter set that has cute inscriptions on it. If you are an Amazon Prime member like me then you may want to check out these bible highlighters which I recently added to my Amazon cart. So I will have to let you know how it goes.
Here’s a list of possible Color Coding Your Bible categories:
- God, Jesus, Holy Spirit
- Discipleship, Faith, Teachings, Wisdom
- Obedience, Growth, Salvation, Fellowship, Repentance, Commands
- Prayer, Miracles, Blessings
- Worship, Timing, Praise, Angels, Doctrine
- Marriage, Family, Women, Relationships, Friendship, Parenting
- Love, Kindness, Grace, Compassion, Mercy, Peace
- History, Prophecy, Times, Places
- Visions, Oath, Covenant, Creation
- Satan, False Teachings, Sin, Death
- Hypocrisy, Temptation, Hell, Evil
Bible Study Resources
I hope that this post has encouraged you to bible study because you don’t need to be an expert! These are my favorite bible study resources for beginners! This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (meaning if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you anything)! Thank you so much for your support as this helps me afford the expenses of my online ministry.
- Bible, ESV Black Bible
- Faith Journal
- Study Bible, The ESV Study Bible
- Colored Pens, Ballpoint Pens, Assorted Colors
- War Room Movie, War Room: Prayer Is a Powerful Weapon
- It’s not a competition so don’t compare your bible to others. Choose topics that are important to you and make that the focus of your bible color-coding system. I hope this inspires you to get started on Color Code Your Bible today!
Love this post, Pin it!